Search for content in message boards

Thomas Gibson of New Kent Virginia

Thomas Gibson of New Kent Virginia

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 12:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Aug 2013 12:15PM GMT
I have seen many internet genealogies on the Thomas Gibson family of New Kent/Hanover/Louisa Co., Va, [died 1734] that connect him to Nicholas Gibson son of Thomas who died in 1652 and married to Mary Allen. I do not believe these are correct, there is nothing to indicate, from my research, that Thomas' wife Mary's surname was Allen, or that he descends from Nicholas.

It would appear that Nicholas, son of Thomas Gibson died without *legal heirs* as the land of Thomas Gibson and his son, Nicholas, appears to have been *escheated* according to the records below. I guess it is possible that Nicholas had an illegitmate son, or perhaps his son was of an Indian mother and not a legal heir, but there is no proof of this either.

24 Sept., 1652 Will of Thos Gibson of Chesquack Parish: - bequeaths to Elizabeth, my wife, as much of the divident he lives on as lies within the neck,for her life & the rest for use of his son Nicholas, during his minority, and after death of his wife the whole 900 acres to go to his son Nicholas; failing issue, to his dau. Cassandra; 860 pds tob: to Margaret his sister, wife of Wm Blackey, due from Wm Burford: horses & mares to be equally divided between his wife, Nicholas his son & his dau. Cassandra; Nicholas to be of age at 18 [appears Nicholas was born abt 1640 as he reaches age in 1658 jp] & Cassandra at 20 or day of marriage. A gold ring to son & dau. left them by their godmothers; Cassandra to have the best fflock bed with Rug, Boulster and Pillow & the ffine payer of Holland Sheets & to each of them (son & dau.) a Pott & Pestle: my Bookes to my son, Nicholas. The two to have 1100 lbs tob. due by Geo. Smith; Mary & Jane, daus of his wife, to have 365 lbs of tob. recd this year of Henry Ashwell: Alice & Elizabeth, daus of my wife & at present living in England all the tob., due from Henry Ashwell: my Beaver hatt to brother-in-law Wm Blackey. His wife to have all the remainder of his personal
estate & to be guardian of his children: Wm Blackey to have the oversight of them: Elizabeth, his wife, to be exx: Bee Humphreys to be free, & released from any former neglect. Witnesses: Jno Whiston (his mark), Bees Humphreys. Rec:
20 Sept., 1652.
=============================
13 August 1658 Gibson, Nicholas. grantee.
NOTE Location: New Kent County.
NOTE Grantee(s): Gibson, Nicholas, (orphan of Thomas Gibson decd.).
NOTE Description: 800 acres of marsh land. Be.g &c. by the high land of Nicholas Gibson to a little creek; then northerly down the creek to the river.
NOTE Gibson, Nicholas, (orphan of Thomas Gibson decd.)
NOTE Source: Land Office Patents No. 4, 1655-1664, p. 272 (Reel 4).

23 October 1669 GRANTEE Blackey, Wm. grantee.
NOTE Location: New Kent County.
NOTE Description: 1300 acres on the South side of York river, beg.g at a creek called Tanke Queens Creek from thence bounding upwards on the river and sunken land. Adjoins land Geo. Gill. .

NOTE (900 acres pt. thereof formerly granted to Tho. Gibson and since found to escheat.)
NOTE Source: Land Office Patents No. 6, 1666-1679 (pt.1 & 2 p.1-692), p. 278
(Reel 6).

Patents: An early law to encourage immigration to Virginia gave 50 acres of land for each person transported into the Colony to the person who brought him. Transport across the Potomac from Maryland counted equally to bringing someone from Europe. No limit was stipulated on how many times the same person could qualify. Certification of the entry was made by a jury of the county court where the land was located. Certificates could be bought and sold. The patent escheated if there was no legal heir and no one had bought the land before the patentee died. Escheat meant it reverted to the crown or in Northern Virginia after 1692 to the Proprietor of the Northern Neck.

Re: Thomas Gibson of New Kent Virginia

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 12:45PM GMT
Do you, by any chance, know the descendants of Nicholas Gibson?
Thanks, Pam

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 1:06PM GMT
It seems Nicholas left no heirs if it escheated back to the crown of Virginia as the deed seems to indicate.

If Nicholas would have left heirs not considered legal, such as a child by an Indian etc.. it seems his Aunt Margaret Blackley would have taken care of them/him but I've found no evidence of this.

I'd like to think that Thomas Gibson was a descendant of this Nicholas, orphan of Thomas of York, it would explain why DNA is not matching. Joanne

Posted: 10 Aug 2013 1:09PM GMT
Ok, thanks! I have been trying to find parents and grandparents for Thomas Theodrick (the names may be reversed) Gibson born about 1820 in Franklin Co., VA. Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.