Search for content in message boards

Maud Rogers, sister of humorist Will Rogers. Need help Please

Maud Rogers, sister of humorist Will Rogers. Need help Please

Andy Brandon (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2004 1:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
My greatgrandmother and Will Roger's sister, Maud were close childhood friends. I have discovered a great deal of previously unknown information about my GGM's childhood in IT in the 1870's and 1880's, but not enough.

Does anyone have any information about Maud's life, perhaps an old picture, or any fact at all? My GGM attended the same school..so even something about that would be helpful. If so, pls reply or email me at

andybrandon33@hotmail.com

Thanks, Andy Brandon (Atlanta area)

Re: Maud Rogers, sister of humorist Will Rogers. Need help Please

Posted: 31 Oct 2004 7:39PM GMT
Maud Rogers attended the Cherokee Female Seminary in Tahlequah, OK. She was there in 1883 and was a classmate of my grandmother's. There is a record in the Oklahoma Archives of the students at the Seminary almost from its inception to the 1885 fire. This record was compiled by the late Grant Foreman. You can contact the Oklahoma Archives in Oklahoma City for further information. Maud Rogers later married a Captain Lane which produced children and grandchildren, some of whom still live in OK. Good luck in your search. Marjorie Lowe

Andy Brandon (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2004 4:42PM GMT

Donn Renwick (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2004 6:15PM GMT
Ms. Lowe: Do you by chance have any information on the brothers of Will Rogers, the humorist. My GGrandmother always said she was related to him via her mother, Ellen, who was born in the Indian Territory in 1866. Ellen's father was Frank Rogers and he married an indian girl named Molly. I have old photographs of a Rogers family visiting my gg in the 1915... names on the back include Odis, Lizzie,Allice, and Will. Any information you are aware of is appreciated.

Posted: 2 Nov 2004 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 9:43AM GMT
Will Rogers had no brothers only sisters. There are very few Rogers relatives as most cousins had the married names of Will's sisters. I recommend a book by Dr. Reba Collins called CLIMBING WILL ROGERS FAMILY TREE. It is available at the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. Dr. Collins is related to Will Rogers. Good luck in your search. Marjorie Lowe

rachel murphy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Nov 2004 11:22PM GMT
I have read all messages re: William Penn Adair Rogers, Okla. If you could tell me anything about William Ridge Rogers from Tennessee , I'd gladly appreciate it. My Will has some of the same relatives as your Will. Your Will has a missing link as I have researched him and my Will has too. My Will is my great-grandfather. I have found a Maud Rogers in Tennessee married to a Will Rogers, not sure how all this fits in. Thanks very much. Rachel Rogers-Murphy

Posted: 19 Nov 2004 11:58PM GMT
William Penn Adair Rogers is not one of my relatives. While my Cherokee great-grandmother was named Rogers and my grandmother was a classmate of Maud Rogers, Will's sister, we are not related. It is almost impossible to find any Rogers' relatives of Will, as he was an only son, with about four sisters. You need to connect to names like McSpadden, Lane, Sullivan, Collins, Vann, Scrimsher. I recommend you buy the book, Climbing Will Rogers Family Tree by Dr. Reba
Collins. You can order it from the Will Rogers Museum in Claremore, OK. It contains all of the Rogers relatives. You might also check out the Cordery Family in Dr. Emmet Starr's History of the Cherokee Indians which had a genealogy section and gives the genealogies of about fifteen prominent Cherokee families since before removal to Indian Territory to the early 1900's. Good luck in your search.

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 4:08AM GMT
I want to thank you for the information re:Will ROGERS. I will get the book that you have recommended, ok. Now, I have made connections on at least two ,really three of the names. The missing link inf. in Will's history, I'm sure I have it. If you research in Martin College in Jackson, Tn.,; you will see what I mean. I cannot type this inf. to you just now, it needs more research. Each time I research, I'm able to put together more pieces to William Ridge Rodgers*Rogers- The Haywood County, Tennessee "WILL" ROGERS. This "WILL" is my "Paternal" great-grandfather. Yes, he is FULL-BLOOD CHEROKEE INDIAN. His son, my grandfather and one of his sons were as INDIAN as could be. I knew both of them and I know. My Will was born in 1871 and the other Will was born in 1879. They had another brother Julius to. I need more research to really verify that they are brothers. Rachel

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 7:23AM GMT
William Penn Adair Rogers was not a full blood Cherokee. The Rogers brothers who came into the Cherokee Nation and intermarried with the Corderys (also white who had intermarried) were white. At most, this Will Rogers was only one fourth Cherokee, and he himself, said he was only one eighth. I am sorry but you have not linked with the famous Will of movie fame. His father was Clement Vann Rogers and his mother was Mary America Scrimsher, which by the way was a German name, not Cherokee. European names, such as Rogers, Scrimsher and Vann were obtained through intermarriage. Sorry.

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 6:58PM GMT
Donna----You mentioned having photographs of a ROGERS family . Is it possible to get copies of these? Thanks RACHEL ROGERS-MURPHY
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.