Search for content in message boards

LANE

Posted: 7 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Nov 2002 1:52AM GMT

I am trying to find the parents/ancestors of my grandfather, Perry Lane. He was born in Ky.in 1851. He left Casey County, KY.,(we think alone) for Ill. where he married in 1869, and stayed.
A full brother, Sam, born in Ky. about 1850, married Malinda C. Pitman, 3-29-l871. Sam's daughter, Alice, married David Vaught 5-1-l890. A half brother, Henry, born in Missouri, in Aug. 1858, married Rebecca Pemberton 12-25-1879. Another half brother, Levi, born in Ky, in Aug.,1858, married Matilda Pemberton, 3-27-1880. Sam, Henry, and Levi were married in Casey County.
In the 1880 Census, a George Lane, 31, (born Ky.) and his wife, Nancy,26, (born in Tenn.) were living next to Levi. Listed were 4 children and mother, Roda, 75 and niece, Roda P. 16. (A George Lane and Nancy Pitman was married 4-25-1871.)
I had never heard George Lane mentioned, and I wonder what
relation to Levi he was; it looks like he could have been a brother to Levi.
If that was so, Roda was my grandfather's stepmother. We knew he was not raised by his mother, but do not know what happened to her. Any help would be appreciated. I have several Lanes listed in the Censuses of 1880-1900-1910. Also Marriages of male Lanes in Casey Co. from 1903 to 1915, and female Lane Marriages from 1830-1880. These may not be complete, but might be of some help. I have some earlier male Lane Marriages which are temporily mislaid.

Re: LANE

Bill C. Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT

Hi Mac, I am Bill C. Taylor and I saw your inquiry and thought I would respond. My Ellen Taylor d/o George Taylor married a William Lane,who was the brother of a Abraham Lane, who was the father of the George Lane you were talking
about. George Lane was b.ca.1849 and he went to Illinois. I don't have all of the Lane info but I will give you several Lane direct line relatives that would know. 1. Mike Hatchell
at MHATCHEL@mail.state.ky.us 2.Sherry Lane Bader in Oregon at SHERRY@easystreet.com 3. Sandra Lane Duley who lives in Lanesville, IN is at SDULEY@otherside.com THese people can give you the info that you want I think. They are probably kin to you. If I can help you I any other way let me know. Sincerely Bill C. TAylor, 3826 Dogwood Rd., Floyd Knobs, IN 47119 at home MattnMikeT@aol.com

Posted: 10 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2002 1:52AM GMT

LANE: Casey County
Correction: Henry Lane was born in May, l858 and Levi Lane
was born in Aug., 1862.

Additional info: In the 1900 Census; living between Henry and Levi was an Edmon Lane, his wife, Larue (unclear),
daughter, Melvina Goode, (widow of Wm. Good, m.4-15-1883)
and grandchildren: Emmet, Malinda, Josh, Eddie, and Emma.
The youngest, Emma, born in 1895.
Edmon and Larue had been married 44 yrs. (Edmon may have been the Lane brothers' uncle.)

An Edmon Lane had served in Co. H. 1st Ky. Cavalry from
1861 to 1863. (From 1890 Special Census, Kidd's Store, Ky.)

A Henry W. Lane served in Co. C 16th Ky. Cavalry and Co. L
12th Ky. Cavalry. I don't have the dates, as this was taken
from Pension Records, and just have the dates that claims
were filed: Widows, (?) Sallie A. and Hurentha or Florentha
(the name was hardly legible.)
The first application was filed in 1890 and Certified in Ky.
The second was filed in 1891 and had no Certification #, in
Missouri. The Missouri connection was kind of a mystery, since that was the birthplace of grandpa's brother, Henry. We had never known the family had lived in Mo. before
seeing it in the Census records.
It is believed that grandpa's (Perry) father was in the Civil
War, but we didn't know his name.

't know his name.

Posted: 20 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2001 11:04AM GMT

Hello again ---

I just found that I have certified copies of Samuel and Levi Lane's death certificates. Samuel Lane has no parents listed but Levi Lane's lists his father as Henry Lane born in Kentucky and his mother as last name Goodin, also born in Kentucky. There is a Henry Lane, age 26 born Casey County KY who married 2nd Sarah A. Goodin, age 18 born Mason County KY on January 4, 1855 in Casey County KY. (page 15, Casey County Marriages, KY Vital Records Series 1, Volume 23 by Frances Ingmire)

Would you like copies of the death certificates?

Hope some of this helps!

Sherry Lane Bader
sherryb@easystreet.com

Posted: 20 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2001 11:04AM GMT

Hello from Oregon ---
I'm the great great granddaughter of Daniel Alfred Lane who was born in Casey County Kentucky in 1829. He was the son of Elias Lane and the grandson of the Daniel Lane who resided in Casey County KY during the 1810 and 1820 census. I believe your Perry Lane was the son of the William or Henry Lane who was the 2nd child of Harvey Lane and Rhoda Pemberton. Harvey Lane was one of the children of the Daniel Lane who resided in Casey County Kentucky during the 1810 and 1820 census.

During the 1850 census Perry Lane (age 1) and his brother Samuel (age 3) were living with William Lane (age 21 born KY) and Marthy next to the Harvey Lane family. By 1860, my Daniel Alfred Lane and his father Elias Lane were living in Washington County IL. Perry Lane (age 10) and Samuel Lane (age 12) were also living in Washington County IL during the 1860 census in the household of Henry Lane (age 35 born KY) and Polly. Also in that household was Levi Lane (age 5) and Henry Lane (age 2). Perry Lane was living in Shelby County IL during the 1870 and 1880 census. Samuel Lane was married in Casey County KY in 1871 but I didn't find him in either the 1870 Shelby County IL or the 1870 Casey county KY census. He was in Shelby County IL during the 1880 census. Levi Lane was in Casey County KY during the 1870 census living with the Nancy Lane Turpin family - Nancy was a daughter of Harvey Lanes and would have been Levi's aunt. [Elaine Black at macweb1@powersupply.net is a direct descendent of Nancy Lane and her husband Jonathan Turpin] Levi and his brother Henry are also found in the 1880 and 1900 Casey County KY census

I've been interested in Perry lane and his brothers because they also appear to have moved from Kentucky to Washington County IL about the same time that my Elias and Daniel Alfred Lane families moved there. I have some additional information about Perry Lane and his brothers in my files but I'll have to find the box that the files are in first. (And it's not always where I think I left it!)

I do have alot of information about their grandfather Daniel Lane and would be happy to share it with you. I'm trying to document all of the descendents of the Casey County Kentucky Lanes and would like to add your family information to Harvey Lane's descendents.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Sherry Lane Bader
sherryb@easystreet.com
b@easystreet.com
Posted: 28 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 10:36PM GMT
I also am decended from Preston Francis Turpin & Mary (Polly)Spencer (12) children Listed 1850 cen.
Johnathan Turpin (B) 1831 In. & Mary Jane Lane (5)children listed 1880 cen.
Preston Fracis Turpin (B) 10/20/1852(d) 10/7/1948 (7) children

Nancy Jane Taylor (B) 11/17/1866 (d) 14/1920 Law co. In (7) children.Both buried Hopkins cemt.South of Needmore In.

My father was Edward Rowe Turpin (B) 2/11/1887 (d)2/7/1953 (M) 1 Medie Miller (2) children Mary Irene, Charles Edward,
(2) Mary Eliabeth Wilcher (1) child Myself Geneva.

Ihave more info on the Turpins since they came to In.arround 1900

Geneva

LANE

Geneva Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edmonda Lanes wife name was Laura Flagian cant find a marriage for them.
The William Goode {M} Malvina Lane three of their children married into the Wilcher Family of Casey Co.
1 Emma 2-14-1895/5-1-1917 {M] Henry Clay Wilcher
1-8-1916 She died at child birth or shortly thereafter
2 Emmett Goode 6-22-1888/3-31-1956 [M[Nancy Ethel Wilcher they had no children.
3 Ambrose Goode 10-4-1892/2-3-1949 [M]Anna Mae Wilcher 1912 they had 7 children 2 dying at childbirth these were the children of James Anderson Hill Wilcher as was my Grandfather Grover Cleaveland [G.C/Cleave] Wilcher
Grandpaw was twice Postmaster and Owner of Kidds store
All the Goodes are buried at Mays Cemt so of KiddsStore on 127
Geneva Anderson.
Posted: 9 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Sep 2001 4:01AM GMT
Surnames: Turpin
My grandmother was Lorena Jane Turpin Alexander born in Fraizer, Ky. in 1903 to Benjamin and Netha Elizabeth Cowan Turpin. Any connection to your Turpin's? If so please e-mail me.

TURPIN's in Casey County

Robert Turpin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: TURPIN, WESLEY
I am just getting started on my family, and all I have to go on is my paternal grandfather was Cosby TURPIN (b) unk
d) 21Jun1969 (m) Ada B. WESLEY date unk.They lived in Casey County, and that is all I know :-(

Does any of this match up with you? I am hoping to find someone with a little more info for me to work with, I am new to genealogy, and not sure how to proceed.
Thanks!

robert turpin

Posted: 14 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 10:36PM GMT
Surnames: Turpin, Lane

Robert,let me check my files,it may take a few days as I have been working on my Wilcher line lately.
Geneva
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.