Search for content in message boards

Henry Wellman, 1850, New Town, Poole

Henry Wellman, 1850, New Town, Poole

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 12:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wellman, Welman
Looking for info on Henry Wellman (Welman, Willman) born in New Town, Poole, England in 1850. He moved to Newfoundland, Canada, before 1872 (when he was married).

Perhaps the birth place was Newtown ward? Or a place called New Town in Dorset?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Henry Wellman, 1850, New Town, Poole

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 3:42AM GMT
Hi
I am not researching this family. The following May be him.
1851 census has a family at Parish Chaldon Herring
John Welman, age 34 b.1817 Woodsford, Farm Lab.
Mary Welman, age 30 b.1821, Affupuddle
George Welman, age 7 b.1844, Tincleton
Sarah Welman, age 5 b.1846, Tincelton
Henry Welman, age 2 b. 1849, Woodsford
John Welman, age 7mths b. 1851 West Chalton.

From Dorset OPC http://www.opcdorset.org/
Baptisms Tincleton
10-Dec-1843; George WELLMAN son of John & Mary WELLMAN
16-Nov-1845; Sarah WELLMAN daughter of John & Mary WELLMAN

Baptisms Chaldon Herring
25-Aug-1850; John WELMAN son of John & Mary WELMAN; Labourer
13-Mar-1853; Jane WELLMAN daughter of John & Mary WELLMAN; Labourer of West Chaldon

Marriages Owermoigne
31-Dec-1843; John WELLMAN Bachelor Labourer of Woodsford & Mary HARRIS Spinster, both of full age
Son of Benjamin WELLMAN Labourer; Daughter of John HARRIS Labourer.
Witnessed by: John HARRIS, Elizabeth HARRES

From BIVRI
WELLMAN, John Christening
Christening Date: 17 Aug 1817 Recorded in: Woodsford, Dorset, England
Father: Benjamin WELLMAN
Mother: Elizabeth
Source: FHL Film 1239261 Dates: 1809 - 1824

WELLMAN, George Christening
Christening Date: 10 Dec 1843 Recorded in: Tincleton, Dorset, England
Father: John WELLMAN
Mother: Mary
Source: FHL Film 1239251 Dates: 1814 - 1847

WELLMAN, Henry Christening
Christening Date: 13 Aug 1848 Recorded in: Woodsford, Dorset, England
Source: FHL Film 1239261 Dates: 1829 - 1849

WELLMAN, Sarah Christening
Christening Date: 16 Nov 1845 Recorded in: Tincleton, Dorset, England
Source: FHL Film 1239251 Dates: 1814 - 1847

WELLMAN, Jane Christening
Christening Date: 13 Mar 1853 Recorded in: Chaldon Herring, Dorset, England
Source: FHL Film 1279490 Dates: 1853 - 1853

Regards,
Lynne

Posted: 4 Jul 2011 6:01PM GMT
I don't know if this is of any help to you or not. My ggggrandfather William Budden was from Sixpenny Handley in Dorset & the top part of that village was NewTown. He also went to Newfoundland & married there in 1818 at Harbour Grace.

Win

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 11:43AM GMT
I live in Newtown also known to Poole Council as Newtown Ward. It is an area between Poole and Parkstone. The local Church is St Clements but I don't know how long it has been there. Newtown is the highest area in the district and we can look down on beautiful Poole Harbour and surrounding countryside (where there is countryside). In your ancestors time, Newtown was very rural and had clay pits for industrial pottery. There was also a large Gypsy settlement. Your ancestor may have been a mariner ? and would have emigrated around the time the salt fish trade came to an end ?. (Refrigeration knocked it on the head) also a time of great poverty for anyone working on the land.
The name Wellman does not appear to be local to Poole and appears more in the West and North of Dorset, especially in Fordington. I found Wildman in Longfleet Parish (just a walk from Newtown)and could well have been miswritten/transcribed. Try dorsetopc and do a search, looking into Longfleet, Kinson, parkstone and St James, Poole. The St James Parish of Poole, was the favourite home for the Mariners.

Good luck

Roz

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 4:05PM GMT
Hi Roz
My ancestor may have gone to Newfoundland to fish. I have not been able to find when he went there. I do know he married a Mary Slade from Marshall's Folly, Newfoundland & they married in Harbour Grace in Oct of 1818. Finding records of ships & passengers/sailors for that time period has proven very difficult if not impossible. Do you know where I could find out what was happening in England about the time my anestor left? I know you mentioned the fishing industry not being fruitful at that time, but would there have been anything else happening that may have led to many leaving at that time?

Have you found what part of Newfoundland your ancestor went to? If not, you may want to try Rootsweb Nfld List. People are very helpful on it.

Would you know how far Poole is from Sixpenny Handley? I am assuming that Poole would have been the port from which my ancestor would have left for Newfoundland.

Win

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Wellman, Welman, Willman
Roz,

Thank you very much Roz for providing that info! I do know that Henry Wellman was a fisherman in NL, as were most of my ancestors. You have really breathed new wind in my sail!

St. James does not have records for 1850 online. Do you know how I can go about asking someone to pay a visit to look up the info?

Vicki

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 5:04PM GMT
Our local Family History Centre is currently in the process of researching and compiling all those in Poole who were Mariners. Occasionally snippets are published in the local Echo Evening Paper which are a bit startling. i.e. (found in the archives below stairs). The Quakers of Poole hired a local merchant and his ship and they sent it off to the Mediteranen to loot and pillage all the coastal towns and villages. When the ship returned to Poole the Quakers collared the higher percentage of the booty. Shock to me !!! They also owned much of the land in Poole. As for 1816 - Poole was probably at its highest prosperity at that time because of the salt cod from Newfoundland. I think your ancestor just fell in love and stayed. The salt cod industry fell apart about 1840. Sixpenny Handley is on the Dorset/Wilts border, close to Salisbury - a fair old distance from Poole. However, Gulliver(Gullivers Travels), our well known old Pirate came from Sixpenny Handley so he became a notorious Mariner. For my own interest, I will do my best to get down to Poole Quay to visit the FH Centre to find out how far they have got with the Mariners names and will ask about Wellmans.

Roz

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 5:14PM GMT
Roz If you run across the name Gallop please let me know. Gallops came to Newfoundland in the 17 and 18 hundreds from dorset and some stayed, including my 4x graandfather.
Pat, in Michigan

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 8:46PM GMT
Hi Roz

Thanks for the info regarding what the Family History Centre is doing in Poole.

Could I contact you off list if I have more questions?

Win

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 9:26PM GMT
Gallops also went to USA on The Mary & John, with Henry Way the Puritan in about 1630. They sailed from Weymouth and Rev. White later wrote a letter of rebuke because Mrs Gallop wept to return home to Dorset because she hated it so. I only remember this stuff because we have a family connection to the Gallops. Gallops still live here in Poole. The Gallops were also honoured during the Visitation to Dorset during the time of Queen Elizabeth Ist. Got knighted and all that stuff.

Will look for Mariner Gallops when I go to the centre.

Roz
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.