This is a far back as I have been able to go, any assistance toward further will be greatly appreciated.
Matthew Ewing b. abt 1760 County Tyrone. Married Ann Kelly
I'm not sure how many children they had but I think I know about 4 of them, as follows:
1. Male Ewing b. abt 1780 County Tyrone d. abt 1815
Fought under the Duke of Wellington in the Battle of Salamanca, Spain, is thought that is where he died.
2. James Ewing b. 1785 County Tyrone. d. 13 October 1876 Pike River, St. Armand, Mississquoi, Quebec, Canada.
James left home during the Bonaparte War, going to Scotland.
James married Jane Percy abt. 1816-1818 (there is some indication that this is his 2nd marriage, and that his first wife died after they were married for about a year, the other name for a wife is Catherine Campbell.)
Jane's parents were James Percy d. may 11 1801, and Margaret Smith.
James and Jane had at least 7 children. More about them below. (see**)
3. Female Ewing b. abt 1790 County Tyrone d.?
Married a man named Mr. Lang.
4. Male Ewing abt. 1792-abt.1870 County Tyrone d. USA
He had a son who fought in the Civil War.
The birth order of the children above may be incorrect.
Children of James Ewing and Jane Percy:
1. Margaret Ewing b. 10 Mar 1817. d. 22 Feb 1917 at Pike River, Stanbridge Township, Mississiquoi Co, Quebec, Canada.
She married William Graham. (There is some indication that the mother of Margaret was Jame's first wife, Catherine Campbell).
2. Ann Ewing b. 1819 Scotland. d. 16 Jan 1910 (barried at Pike River Cemetery, Saint-Pierre-de-Véronne-à-Pike-River, Missisquoi County, Québec). Married Alexander Cochrane.
(THIS IS MY FAMILY CONNECTION TO MATTHEW EWING). They had at least 4 children, more on them below.
3. John Ewing b.1821 Pike River, Quebec, Canada d.1914 Married Elenor George (or Georges) 1827-1891.
4. Francis Ewing b.08 Feb 1825 Noyan, Quebec, Canada
d.23 Jul 1879 -Barried at, Pike River Cemetery, Saint-Pierre-de-Véronne-à-Pike-River, Missisquoi County, Québec.
Married Janet McDonald.
They had at least one daughter named Ellen Ewing b.1863 d.1881. She is barried at the same cemetery in Quebec.
5. Mary Jame b. 10 Oct 1827 d. 10 Oct 1845. Barried in the same cemetary in Quebec.
6. Elizabeth b.25 January 1831 d. 1866. She married Alexander Watson b. 1830 - 1914. They had at least one son named Colin Campbell Watson b.1865 d.1866. Barried at the same cemetary in Quebec.
7. Martha b.10 March 1834 d.1937. Married E. Hall. They had at least two children. Mary M. b. 1869 and Edwin E. Hall b. 1871.
More info on my Family connection.
Ann Ewing and Alexander Cochrane Married 22 October 1844. At St. George Perish, Quebec, Canada.
They had at least 4 Children, they were:
1. John Ewing Cochrane b.21 March 1847 d.2 Jul 1931 York, Ontario, Canada. John had basically two families, his first wife was Mary A Morrison b.1846 New Brunswick, Canada. d. 31 Oct 1894 at 4 Pevear Place, Roxbury, Boston, Massachusetts. John and Mary had 6 kids before she died. I will quickly list them, incase it helps someone with their research:
1. George Alexander b.26 October 1872
2. James Percy b.30 December 1873 Massachusetts, USA.
3. William Morrison b. 09 September 1875
4. Annie Jane b. 03 May 1877
5. Mabel May b. 20 February 1879
6. Maud b. 18 March 1882
John Ewing Cochrane had a second wife, (My G.G Grandma) Josephine Masson, b.23 November 1880, St. Raphel, Glengarry City, Ontario, Canada
d. 21 February 1973, Barrie, Ontario, Canada
John and Josephine had 7 children, you can find information on them on this forum, under the Masson surname board, or the Glengarry Ontario board.
You can find information on the cemetary that many of the Ewings are barried in (in Quebec) at this link:http://www.interment.net/data/canada/qc/missisquoi/pike_rive...
Looks like you can find a lot of Cochrane's there also.
Corrections are always appreciated, contact me if I can help you more, or if you can help me with more info. Directly at email@example.com