Search for content in message boards

Byasse origin?

Byasse origin?

Posted: 25 Apr 2005 1:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: Byasse
I have a John Byasse who arrived in Virginia, USA from British Isles in 1711. There is a game played in Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland called "byasse-bowls". Does anyone know the origin of the surname or the name of the game?

Re: Byasse origin?

Chris Doak (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2005 11:25AM GMT
Hi Martha,

Probobly no connection with the surname Byasse,byasse-bowls (or bias bowls to use it's modern name) is the version of lawn bowls which has been played in Scotland and the North of England since Mediaeval times.The bowls are not round,but cut and weighted so that the bowl does not run in a straight line,but runs in an arc.

Whether the surname Byasse has any Scottish origins I'm not too sure,but there are old Scot's adjectives and adverbs "byous","bias","byas",and "byus",which all mean wonderful,exceptional,exceedingly,etc..The noun "bysse" is the old word,in some parts of Scotland,for a stall for a cow,or it's bedding.

Hope this has been of interest.

Cheers,Chris.

Re: Byasse origin?

Posted: 1 May 2005 5:55PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: Byasse and Byasssee
Thank you Chris,
Very interesting. In addition to Byasse and Byassee, I have also seen "bias","byas", and "bysse" surnames. I guess this doesn't rule out that the name originated or was modified in Scotland, but doesn't prove anything either. Thanks again for your answer!
Martha
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.