Search for content in message boards

CREWS of Kentucky- Indian decent?

CREWS of Kentucky- Indian decent?

Posted: 9 Aug 2003 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any information on the CREWS, being of Indian decent?

Thank you
Rose Higgins

Re: CREWS of Kentucky- Indian decent?

Faye (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2003 2:05AM GMT
I am a crews with indian but it is because I my grandfather Versie Crews married my grandmother Willie Mae Nelson who is part of the Creek Indians from Florida.
Faye

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 4:54PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2004 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: CREWS
Thanks.

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 7:40PM GMT
I'm still looking but I think that my great-great grandfather William B. Crews is from Indiana. The rest of my search has been in Monroe Co. KY. Here we have James P.,Jerry M.,Loucy, Narcissus and there decendents.

Jen M. (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2004 2:54PM GMT
Surnames: Anderson Crews
I, too, am searching for more on this subject. I have been told that my great, great grandmother, Cora Mae Anderson, was Cherokee. I traced her mother, Mary Crews, to Kentucky, but I don't know her maiden name. There may be no connection.

Posted: 8 Oct 2005 2:00AM GMT
Rose,

My Great Grandfather was a Glasscock, this is only relative in the fact that Sina Ann Crews was either his grandmother or his great grandmother. I can remember and my mom also remembers my great granfather telling stories of this Sina Crews who was supposedly full blooded Cherokee. He said that she used to come to visit and would ride her horse around the one tree and shoot into it to announce her presence as she wouldn't enter "the white man's house". We have had no luck tracing the indian side down. I do know that Sina bounced from several states around a lot. The Glasscocks are all mainly from Missouri, however they were married in Arkansas, then moved to either Kentucky or Tennessee can't remember off the top of my head. If anyone has any info on Sina Crews I would gladly share what little bit we know. Thanks.

Amanda

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Crews, Cruse, etc
Is your Sina Crews from Kentucky? If so, she may be in my family tree and yes she was a Cherokee...lived in Rockcastle Co. KY. ....email me at tjs115@aol.com for more info

Thanks
Terri Sloan

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 1:13AM GMT
I am wondering if my great grandmother might be related to your family. My family has lost all information about her besides what I have been told by my aunt and what I have found in TN U.S. Census reports.
This is what I know: My great grandmother's (see info below) name was Rhoda Fannie Cruse or Cruce, maybe even Crews. She was born in TN, as were her parents. Her father was a white man( Cruse or Cruce born around 1850's in TN. and her mother was full Cherokee (we think, could be Chickasaw), born around 1850's. Rhoda's mother died when she was about five and her father remarried. Cruse and his new wife had one son, Rhoda's step brother. Rhoda's Cruse family was mostly wiped out by influenza and/or scarlet fever by early 1900's. Only one cousin was left, according to my 86 year old aunt back in Tennessee.
My maternal great grandmother was Rhoda Fannie Cruce or Cruse-not sure of spelling. She was born in 1873,TN and married Levi Nathan Miller, 1868, TN. Census reports both of Rhoda's parents were also from TN. She lived in Obion Co. Tennessee and later in Arkansas with Levi. Rhoda's mother's and father's first and last names are lost to me. Anyone who has similar info in their tree? Thanks a lot!

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 3:36AM GMT
Amanda, I am researching Sina A. Crews who married William Glasscock for a descendent, a great grandson. I found her in the 1880 census married to a Francis Thomas. I cannot find her in the 1870 census. Would like to exchange info with you. Carol

Posted: 23 Aug 2014 2:14PM GMT
Just in case you still check on this post station I am looking for information on Crews in Rockcastle. Celia who married Joel Elkins only information I have on her is she died on April 27, 1891 and their son William J. Elkins is my G G Grandfather.. Anything you have would be great will also send to the e-mail you have provided. Many thanks Sheila
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.