Search for content in message boards

Woodall Cherokee Indian Heritage?????

Woodall Cherokee Indian Heritage?????

Posted: 9 Jan 2005 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Woodall, Woodhall
A group of Woodall's reciently started running DNA test to truely define our heritage. I asked my Dad who is the oldest Woodall in our family to take the test. With the first results we found a Q3 Hypolog. In english, if true, this means some of us are from Indian heritage. We have heard stories of Cherokee Indian blood in the family but have never found any proof.

We know for a fact that James Henry Woodall born 21 October 1847 is our ancestor. We have records bnack furthere but we now need to confirm this data with thi snew information. We beliefe that Jim Henry's Father was William Wagner Woodall born 5 June 1818.

Do any of you have any other information on Woodall Indian blood of have any male Woodall relatives that might like to take the DNA test?

Re: Woodall Cherokee Indian Heritage?????

Wayne Woodall (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2005 3:56PM GMT
Steve,
We do have some Cherokee in our bloodline but would not be in your branch of the Woodall tree. My grandmother was Arizona Monk Woodall who married William Thomas Woodall, b. 1871, in 1898. Arizona Monk was 1/2 Cherokee.

I am interested in your William Wagner Woodall, b. 1818. My ggGF is Thomas Jefferson Woodall, b. 1813 in Kentucky.
Was William Wagner Woodall born in Kentucky?

Posted: 11 Jan 2005 5:17PM GMT
I am forwarding this message to a cousin that has more information on the family than myself.

Perhaps she can put the two families together.

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 9:21PM GMT
I may have found a good bit of information. I need to review it but once I do I will email you what I have.
Please feel free to write me at this email address. stevew@rbp.com

Posted: 5 Feb 2005 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: Woodell, Woodall, Redmon, Smith
We found that instead of Cherokee Indian heritage as we were told by our ancestors, we actually had Lumbie Indian blood who are from Robeson County, North Carolina. You might check them our if you can't find your cherokee connection. By the way, some Indian mixed blood was listed as mulatto in heavily mixed Indian counties. They were in Robeson County, North Carolina.
Janice Redmon Smith
great grandmother was Jeannette Woodell/Woodall b. Holmes County, Florida
great great grandfather was Calvin Woodall/Woodell b. Geneva County, Alabama
great great grandmother was Mary "Molly" Woodall/Woodell born Robeson County, North Carolina
great grea great grandfather was Martin Woodell/Woodall born Montgomery County, North Carolina
By the way, my husband turned out to be my 3rd cousin once removed. When means my great great grandfather, Calvin was his great grandmother, Rhoda Missouri Woodall's, brother. In other words they were sister and brother. We had been married thirty years when we found out we were related.

Posted: 5 Feb 2005 5:45PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2006 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: WOODELL
Janice, this doesn't have anything to do with Cherokee heritage--I'm wondering if you know anything about a SILAS WOODELL who was born in Florida about 1880, since your great-grandmother lived in Holmes Co., FL. There weren't too many Woodells in FL at that time. Silas in the 1910 census (Greenwood, Mississippi) gave his birthplace as FL. His wife was named Idora (but I cannot read the writing very well so that may not be exactly correct). He had two young daughters listed, Mary and Lilly (I believe her name was Lilly). I believe Calvin Woodell had a daughter named Lilly so I'm thinking Silas may be from Calvin's family. I believe I may have posted a similar message on the Woodell MyFamily site.

Posted: 7 Feb 2005 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: Woodell, Woodall, Redmon, Harrell
Sorry, I don't have a Silas Woodell. Calvin did have a daughter named Lilly Ann but I don't have anything on her line. I don't know where the name came from because the name is not one of Elizabeth Harrell's (Calvin's wife) mother or siblings name nor any of Calvins.

Steve Woodall (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2005 2:13AM GMT
Janice,

I have a Calvin C. Woodall in my family. He was born in 1847 in Rabun, Georgia. His parents were Morgan Woodall and Barbara Allen.

I am trying to combine all Woodall's into my computer. If you have your family group sheets in your computer where you could send them to me I would love to add them.

Steve
stevew@rbp.com

Steve Woodall (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2005 2:18AM GMT
Betty,

I have two Silas Woodalls in my family.

Silas P. Woodall b. 1 May 1833 in Alabama
Silas S .Woodall b. about 1852 in Alabama

If you have your family group sheets where you could email them to me I would love to add them to my records.

Steve

stevew@rbp.com

Posted: 7 Feb 2005 5:01PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2006 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: WOODELL
Thank for your reply about Silas Woodell. I'm sorry I don't have any family group sheets that I could send to you, though. The Silas I'm looking for was about 30 years old in 1910 so born about 1880. His birthplace is given as Florida. His wife was from Lousiana. His profession is listed "Vendor" so he could have been a traveling salesman. At that time he was living in Greenwood, Mississippi. My great-grandfather, William James Woodell, was born in Robeson County, NC but mid-1800s he settled in Carroll Co. MS, only about 15 miles from the town of Greenwood, MS, and in 1910 my half-uncle, Felix Woodell, was also living in Greenwood. I have wondered just who this Silas Woodell was--he may or may not be related to my family. As for there being Woodell Indian heritage in my family I have not heard of it; however, a relative of mine (not a Woodell) once told me that she always thought the Woodells were "Dutch." To me this might indicate that they may have originally considered themselves to be Black Dutch, but I'm not sure.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.