Search for content in message boards

Seeking advice on researching Tyrone records

Seeking advice on researching Tyrone records

Posted: 9 Nov 2008 2:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BATES, KELLY
Looking for advice on the best way to find the birthdates and marriage date of Jonathon KELLY and Sarah BATES. Buried in Edendale cemetery, Calumet, Argenteuil, Quebec, Canada. Their grave marker reads that they were natives of County Tyrone but isn't specific as to town.("JONATHON KELLY, Died Aug. 1, 1866, AGED 68 YRS. Native of Co. Tyrone IRELAND. Also his Wife SARAH BATES Died Mar. 23, 1866, Aged 69 Yrs.")

Jonathon was said to be born Catholic but converted to marry Sarah Bates; 1851 Canadian Census lists his religion as Episcopalian; Sarah's Presbyterian. I have no experience searching Irish records and am not sure where to begin.

Jonathon's father, Thomas KELLY, mother Ann BATCH; Sarah's father, James BATES 1770-1852, unknown mother.

Immigrated to Quebec around 1826-1827. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Cyndi

Re: Seeking advice on researching Tyrone records - surnames Bates, Kelly, Batch

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Bates, Batch, Kelly
There are many excellent sources on the Internet with guidelines and suggestions for County Tyrone research, just do a Google search for "County Tyrone" with "research guide" or a similar phrase.

John Grenham's "Tracing Your Irish Ancestors" is an excellent guide book, and much of it is paraphrased on this RootsWeb/Ancestry site: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirtyr/tyrone-research.htm

The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast (PRONI) has helpful guidelines for family history on their web site, as does the National Archives of Ireland in Dublin. Remember that Co. Tyrone was once part of all Ireland, so early Dublin/Republic of Ireland records cover what is now Tyrone in Northern Ireland/U.K.

You might find your Bates, Kelly and Batch families listed in early Co. Tyrone records such as the Religious Census, 1766 (indexed on Ancestry.com); Spinning Wheel census, 1796 (indexed on Ancestry.com and various Ireland research web sites); the Freeholders lists, 1795-1796 (indexed at PRONI); and the Tithe Applotments, 1823-1838 (Co. Tyrone is included in Ancestry's index and you can also purchase the 6 northern counties tithe index on CD).

Since you know "Thomas Kelly" was the father of your ancestor Jonathon Kelly, for example, you can search the Tithe Applotments for the surname KELLY in Co. Tyrone, and you'll find these names indexed among the nearly 400 Kellys of different spellings in Tyrone:

Tithe Applotments 1823/24-1837/38
Name / County / Parish / Townland / Date

Thomas Kelley Tyrone, Donaghmore, Derryveen 1826
Thos. Kelley Tyrone, Donaghmore, Derryveen 1826
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Cronkill 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Cronkill 1837
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Kilshanagh 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Kilshanagh 1837
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Knocknaroy 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Aghaloo, Knocknaroy 1837
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Cappagh, Ervalee 1827
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Clogher, Beltany 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Clogher, Lisnamoghery 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Clogher, Lurgnaglar 1825
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Clonoe, Mulinaloghog 1827
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Donacavey, Tullarush 1827
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Donacavey, Tyreenan 1827
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Kilskeery, Lifford 1826
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Termonamongan, Ardarrow 1826
Thomas Kelly Tyrone, Tullyniskan, Drumey and Woodhill 1826
Thomas, Jr. Kelly Tyrone, Termonamongan, Sleveduff 1826
Thos. Kelly Tyrone, Cappagh, Ervalee 1827
Thos. Kelly Tyrone, Desertcreat, Tullyodonnell 1825
Thos. Kelly Tyrone, Desertcreat, Waterard 1825
Thos. Kelly Tyrone, Termonmaguirk, Aldrummond (Old Glen) 1825
Thos., Jr. Kelly Tyrone, Dromore, Esker 1834
Thos., Sr. Kelly Tyrone, Dromore, Esker 1834
Thos., Sr. Kelly Tyrone, Termonamongan, Sleveduff 1826
----------------------------------------------------------
Tithe Applotments for the surname BATES in Co. Tyrone:
Name / County / Parish / Townland / Date

Francis Bates Tyrone, Kildress, Glanarny 1826
John Bates Tyrone, Artrea, Aughrim Bates and Donnelly 1825
Saml. Bates Tyrone, Ardstraw, Newtownstewart (Back St.) 1834
Samuel Bates Tyrone, Derryloran, Gortalowry 1826
Samuel Bates Tyrone, Derryloran, Loy Gardens 1826
Thomas Bates Tyrone, Ardstraw, Cavandoragh 1834
Thomas Bates Tyrone, Artrea, Aughrim Bates and Donnelly 1825
Thos. Bates Tyrone, Desertcreat, Derryhash 1825
William Bates Tyrone, Artrea, Aughrim Bates and Donnelly 1825
Wm. Bates Tyrone, Artrea, Ballinenagh

There was no "James Bates" but that doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't in Ireland, just that he wasn't the man responsible for paying tithes on whatever farmland he held (his father or an older brother might have been responsible); or he lived on non-tithed land such as church glebe property. Alternatively, he could have been deceased or had emigrated to another country by the time of the 1820s-1830s tithes. Do you know if Jonathon Kelly's parents or Sarah Bates' parents emigrated to Canada?
There were no surnames resembling "Batch" in the Tithes index but that may have been a phonetic spelling of another name.

PRONI has microfilms of many Co. Tyrone Presbyterian church registers, but you'd have to get an idea of your ancestor's parish and townland or village location to see what churches they might have attended in their area. I'd suggest trying to trace the Presbyterian BATES family and find a KELLY family living in the same parish and townland in the Freeholders and Tithes records. Then go to PRONI's Presbyterian church records index and see if the pertinent parish or parishes has been microfilmed. A professional researcher or research company in Belfast/Northern Ireland can then search the church registers for a fee, if you have funds to spend on genealogy. Or you might find a helping-hands volunteer on one of the Irish forums who'd do a look-up for you.

I'll be glad to help further if you want to write me directly.

Regards,
Annie Crenshaw

Posted: 20 Nov 2008 4:53AM GMT
Thanks for your reply and all the great resources and ideas. I just purchased the book you mentioned but haven't had time to sit down and read it.
You wrote "There was no "James Bates" but that doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't in Ireland, just that he wasn't the man responsible for paying tithes on whatever farmland he held (his father or an older brother might have been responsible); or he lived on non-tithed land such as church glebe property. Alternatively, he could have been deceased or had emigrated to another country by the time of the 1820s-1830s tithes. Do you know if Jonathon Kelly's parents or Sarah Bates' parents emigrated to Canada?"
One source I found stated that Sarah Bates immigrated with her father, James Bates, and brothers sometime around 1825. But I'm thinking it had to be earlier because she and Jonathan had a child, Maria, in Sept of 1823 in Grenville, Deux Montagner, Quebec, Canada and another, James, in 1825 born in Avoca, Argenteuil, Quebec, Canada I don't think Jonathan's father, Thomas, immigrated. Tried to contact you via Ancestry but it wouldn't let me contact you individually. My email is Fras4@Verizon.net if you care to reply. Thanks, Cyndi

Re: Seeking advice on researching Tyrone records

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: Henderson, Kerr
Hi Cyndi. I'd just like to make a comment.

My ancestors were part of a family-group of KERR and HENDERSON couples who left Ireland and migrated to Canada in 1823-1825. They were given land in Argenteuil Co., Province of Quebec, and moved to "the former Township of Gore," which is now the Lakefield and Lachute area.

I will be posting a new query on this Board in a few minutes.

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: Evans
I found your response very interesting but have come up against a brick wall with trying to find out more about an ancestor, one George Henry Evans - a protestant clergyman who served in India and then in a parish near Bristol - the 1861 England census says he was born in 1806 in County Tyrone, Ireland. The next instance recorded is his marriage in Cheltenham in 1840 where he was listed as a clergyman with the East India Company. I have followed his life to his death, but cannot go any further back with him.

Re: Seeking advice on researching Tyrone records

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 8:06PM GMT
I am currently researching the BATES family with respect to just whereabouts they were living in County Tyrone just before they emigrated to Canada. This is a daunting task as I have been unable so far to ferret out this information. It is impossible to access church records on marriage unless you know in what denomination they were married in and in which Townland they were resident in at the time of marriage. I suggest that you start with The Public Records Office Northern Ireland to try and locate where they were living at the time of marriage and then try to locate a church of either denomination in the respective townland of either party. If you are successful in this query i would appreciate receiving the info. dougbates22@hotmail.com

Caveat on Researching The Tithe Applotment records & Tyrone particulars

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 12:53AM GMT
I thought it would be hlepful to clarify a point or two on the Tithe Applotment Books ("TAB").

POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND
(1) Not all land is included in the TABs.
Some parts of the country were exempt from paying tithe, among them glebe lands (land owned by the Established Church ("E.C.")), granges (land which in pre-Reformation times belonged to a monastery that were outside of the juridsiction of the E.C.), and all towns. Also, in some instances, land was of such poor quality that no tithe could be levied. Therefore, the people who lived in these places will not be found in the TAB.

(2) Placenames had not yet been standardized.
Valuers often recorded the local or common name for a townland or parish rather than the Ordnance Survey-designated placename. In the 1830s legislation attempted to standardize boundaries; this resulted in many townlands and parishes being divided, amalgamated, renamed, or otherwise altered. Some parishes appear not to be represented in the TABs but are actually there under a different name or, at the time of the Tithe, were then part of a larger parish but are now parishes in their own right. (see PRONI's Your Family Tree Series, Leaftet No. 23 http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/cata...)

How does this impact County Tyrone TABs?
I did a search of seanruad.com (townland index) and in County Tyrone at the time of that index, there were 72 lands with "Glebe" in them, 7 with "Grange", and 39 Towns. That's 119 of the 2,222 placenames recorded in the Index (a little over 5 percent by number of placenames in the county -- NOT by population which, given the inclusion of towns, is likely to be more than 5%).

No TAB exists for the civil parish of Donaghedy [Donagheady]. Lastly, due to geographic overlap into adjoining counties, the TAB for the civil parish of Errigal Trough is in County Monaghan and the civil parish of Urney TAB is in County Donegal.

Good luck in your research.

-Clare L.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.