Search for content in message boards

LEE of Membury (Dev), Chard, Somerton, Devon/Somerset border area

LEE of Membury (Dev), Chard, Somerton, Devon/Somerset border area

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LEE
Hello - I have been researching my family, the LEE family of Devon and Somerset for many years, and would love to exchange information with anybody who is connected. This family originated in Membury nr Axminster, but many members migrated into Somerset pre-1837, especially Chard, Somerton, and Taunton.

Re: LEE of Membury (Dev), Chard, Somerton, Devon/Somerset border area

mike lee (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2004 1:22AM GMT
Surnames: lee
Hi there: my name is michael robert hugh lee,I am 63 yrs old,born 1940 to robert hugh lee born oct 1911 #13 alpine str. manchester,his parents were robert lee and martha hughes.he was 1 of 6 children born to ??????? the other chidren were, richard,tom,phoeby lizzie and one without a name, and thats all i know. hope its a conection??
nice talking at you ,....mike

GeorgePhilipLee111 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2004 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: Lee
Sorry Mike, I think it's quite unlikely. I don't recognise the children's names, and don't know of any branch of the family who went to Lancashire. In general, the name Lee is commonest in the North of England, starting in Nottinghamshire and extending to Northumberland.

Happy hunting. George

Tom Lee (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2004 2:18AM GMT
Mr. Lee:

Greetings. My great great grandfather, George F. Lee was born at Chulmleigh, Devon. His father, Robert Lee, was born at nearby Ashreigny, Devon. All of our Lees were from this area of Devon.

Cordially,

Tom Lee

George Lee (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2004 9:44PM GMT
Dear Tom,

I think I might have replied to you directly about this, but Devon is a big county, and my family are all from the extreme east. I've not come across a connection with your area, but Lee is quite an unusual surname in the southwest, and it's not impossible that we are related.

Best regards,

George

Posted: 14 Mar 2006 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Lee/Board
Hi,

Not sure if we are connected through the Board family Mary Board lived with her Grandparents, John and Elizabeth Lee in Yarcombe in 1891.

Sharon

nashrambler at shaw.ca

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: Lee
Thanks for your posting. You may be able to help me. I have an ancestor named John Lee, who was resident at Harpford, in Devon in 1770 with his wife Alice Richards Lee. He is listed as a yeoman farmer. Harpford is only 18 miles from Membury. John and Alice Lee left Hapford for Virginia in 1770, and are the ancestors of the Shenandoah Lee family. Living on the American side of the Atlantic, it's pretty difficult for me to do any research on John Lee's ancestors. Do you have any information?

Posted: 2 Nov 2008 5:19AM GMT
We have discovered a connection to ROSE LEE, daughter of Roger Leygh and Elizabeth FISHE baptised 1 Jan 1598/99 in Sowton. Rose married firstly Robert Snell of Chawleigh, then Robert Crockhay, and finally Anthony Snell - her first husbands nephew and died in 1682.

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 9:39PM GMT
Hi George,

I am related to Northcot Tom Lee, the son of Robert Lee & Sarah Coles.

Regards

Richard Rodgers
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.