Search for content in message boards

Abram/Abraham Phillips Family == GA > AL

Abram/Abraham Phillips Family == GA > AL

Posted: 23 Feb 2005 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Phillips, Davis, Bryant, McLeod, McCloud, Harris
Looking for information on the following Phillips family that I have been able to trace from GA to Henry Co., AL:

Abram/Abraham Phillips(Philips) b. abt 1820 d. aft 1880
md. Sarah Davis (dau of Joseph and Mary Davis)
children:
William O. Phillips b. 07-16-1840 Dale Co., AL d. 06-23-1918
md. Lucy P. Harris
Mary Ellender Phillips b.abt 1844/1845 AL
Jane Fanny Phillips b. Dec 1845 AL
md. Ephraim McLeod/McCloud
Joseph F. Phillips b. abt 1848 AL
Martha C. Phillips b. abt 1849 Henry Co., AL
James Alexander Phillips b. 1852 Henry Co., AL
Lucy Ann Phillips b. Apr 1853 Henry Co., AL
md. W. Henry Bryant
John Andrew Wilder Phillips b. 09-24-1854 Henry Co., AL
md. Louisa C. __________.
Manerva Clementine Phillips b. abt 1857 Henry Co., AL
md. William James Ward (my great-grandparents)
Richard Masterson Phillips b. 1859 Henry Co. AL

Anyone with any connection/information on this family please contact me.

Re: Abram/Abraham Phillips Family == GA > AL

amy (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2005 7:02PM GMT
Do you know where your Phillips were living before GA? I've been looking at information on Abram/Abraham Phillips living in Rockingham Co., NC on the 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820 Census. Abraham doesn't seem to be a name among the Phillips. I'd be glad to share what I've got if you think there might be a connection.

Amy.

amy (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2005 8:35PM GMT
correction: "Abraham doesn't seem to be a 'common' name among the Phillips" so it may be easier to trace than others such as Thomas, James, William and John, etc....

I wanted to add, that in Blount Co., TN:
PHILLIPS, Abraham md WHEELER, Nancy on 07-NOV-1822

Although the date is after your Abr. birthdate, maybe there's a common family connection worth looking into.

Amy.

Posted: 7 Mar 2005 9:03PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not know where Abram/Abraham's parents were born. Abe states that he was born in GA in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 census. In 1880 he is listed as being born in AL. The 1880 census is probably in error stating that he is born in Alabama. Abe died before the census included information on location of birth of the parents of those being enumerated. As you said, Abram/Abraham is not a common name at that time (as Lincoln was not yet president). There may very well be a connection. -- Do any of the other names appear multiple times in your Phillips family? They tended to name their children after family members over and over.

My mother told me that when she was a senior in high school (1951-1952) there was an article about Abe Phillips in "The Dothan Eagle" about him, giving a lot of genealogical information (when an ancestor came from England, etc.). I have not yet been able to locate this article as they are kept in an archive in a library somewhere in Alabama and have been unable to get there yet.

Posted: 8 Mar 2005 1:35AM GMT
Hi,
I have been doing background on my family and they too have some of the same names. Wilder is one of the family names and they are from GA and have connections to GA. If you will pull up John Luther Phillips in the ancestry you can find everything you need. He was my father. My cousin has completed a partial background and I have another cousin in Marietta, GA that is working on trying to complete it. If I can be of further help let me know.
Kathleen

amy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2005 8:34PM GMT
Thanks anyway for replying and sharing the info..
Amy.

Nancy Kiser (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2005 10:55PM GMT

Posted: 20 Oct 2005 2:33AM GMT
Thanks Nancy. I was actually in Dothan this past weekend for a family reunion but was only there for 2 days so didn't get to do too much (but I did go to the Dothan City Cemetery and Madrid Cemetery). I did hope to get to the library but it was the weekend and time didn't permit. I will check with my library and see how to go about doing this. This particular Abe Phillips was born in the USA (as I found thru my research) but she swears the article said he was from England and her mother told her that that was her great grandfather (I think she might have missed a few greats).

Again, thanks for your help and interest.
Lisa

Posted: 26 Nov 2006 8:06PM GMT
Hi, Kathleen,

Since you are a Phillips by birth, do you have any Phillips brothers, uncles or male cousins who might be willing to join a DNA project? Here is a link to the project: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/PhillipsWorldwide. If you click on "Y Results" at the top of the page, it will take you to a DNA chart that shows the results of all the participants thus far. The project has attracted 109 participants and 16 unrelated families of Phillips have been identified. In addition, there are more than 30 participants who do not match any other Phillips in the project.

DNA testing for genealogical purposes has become very popular in the last five years, and about half a dozen companies have sprung up offering DNA testing at relatively affordable prices to the general public. The main emphasis has been on surname projects. Men who share the same last name or some variation of it are recruited to take a DNA test, and then results are compared to discover which of them are related within a genealogical time frame, which generally means within the past 600 years. In Europe, permanent surnames only came into general use by 1400 AD. By joining a surname DNA project, people interested in family history with matching DNA can compare notes and make connections, perhaps enabling them to trace back several generations further than they could without DNA comparisons. Also, DNA analysis can reveal the general region where the ancestor of the participant originated; ie, Scandinavia, central Europe, the Mediterranean, the British Isles and Western European seaboard, etc.

The DNA test is painless and only requires swabbing the inside of the cheek with a special scraper. The lab mails a kit to the participant and then the participant mails the kit back to the lab. The kit is assigned a number and the name of the participant is never published, thereby assuring privacy and confidentiality. Only men can be tested effectively in surname DNA projects for two reasons: 1) the DNA markers studied are located on the Y chromosome which is only found in men and 2) traditionally, women do not retain the same surname from generation to generation. However, women who are interested in family history can still participate by recruiting fathers, brothers, uncles or male cousins to take the DNA test.

The administrator of the Phillips Worldwide DNA project is named Harry Shannon Phillips and his email address is PHILLIPSDNAPROJ@AOL.COM in case you would like to contact him directly. He goes by his middle name Shannon. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me or Shannon. By the way, all of us involved with the Phillips Worldwide DNA project are volunteers and none of us get paid to promote the project. We are just interested in sorting out the different Phillips families who immigrated to the New World and hopefully jumping the ocean back to Europe to discover our roots.

Hope you can join!

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.