Search for content in message boards

Charles Lowry - mid 1700's

Charles Lowry - mid 1700's

Mike Lowrey (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lowry, Lowrey, Lowery, Lowrie
My 5th great gf Charles Lowry Sr. was said to have emigrated from the "North of Ireland" to Virginia some time before 1767. He moved south and died in Georgia. Any information on Lowry's in the "North of Ireland" would be appriciated,also any tips on genealogical information for this area.

Re: Charles Lowry - mid 1700's

Posted: 8 Nov 2004 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: Charles Lowry-mid 1700's
Mike, There were so many Lowery, Lowrey,Lowry lines even back in the 1700's in Georgia and Tennessee . Start with your parents and grandparents and carefully work your way back to Charles Lowry Sr.. One of our ancestors in the early 1800's had 4 wives and 23 children. There were 8 major Lowry lines even then. Our ancestors were closely knit with the Cherokees and Choctaw tribes. Chief Sequoyah was 3/4 Scottish and 1/4 Cherokee. He invented the Cherokee syllabary so his people could read and write. George Lowery was his 1st cousin and assistant chief . Most everyone had multiple marriages and large families. I read that Charles Sr's. parents were John and Mary Lowery, born circa 1830. Lowery is actually a Scottish name, that's why so many of us have dark hair and eyes and olive skin. The Scottish moved to Northern Ireland to run off the Irish to many countries. When things got bad in Northern Ireland, many Scots-Irish emmigrated to North America. Many became wealthy plantation owners, a fact of which I am not proud, however others became hard-working family farm owners and laborers. They fought on both sides of the Civil War, an American Tragedy!! I lost ancestors on both sides, a gene pool which can never be replaced. Many of our Scottish/Cherokee ancestors died on "The Trail of Tears" The U.S. Government sent Natives Americans on a forced march to what is now Texas and Oklahoma.when gold was found in Georgia . When I read all of these things on the internet one night, I put my head down and wept for all of the victims. May we all become one United States with liberty for everyone and may the world become unified, different but equal countries, with never another war. May you find what you are seeking. So-long for now. "Nellie Nevada"

Re: Charles Lowry - mid 1700's re Mike Lowery's query

Posted: 19 Sep 2009 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Lowry
This Charles born 1741 seems to be my 6xggfather but I have not been able to go any further back to Ireland for sure. If by now you have that info I would appreciate it
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.