Search for content in message boards

Elliott family of England/Scotland/Jamaica

Elliott family of England/Scotland/Jamaica

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 9:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elliott, Johnston
I am looking for information on the ancestors of Thomas Elliott. He married Margaret Johnston in 1756 in Berwick-upon-Tweed (probably putting his date of birth around 1730 or so). I know of three children:

1. Margaret (born c1758 in Berwick-upon-Tweed; died 1850 in Berwick-upon-Tweed): Married twice - 1) James Crichton in 1783; 2) John Kinmonth in 1799

2. David (born 1761 in Berwick-upon-Tweed): Married twice - 1) Elizabeth ? before 1784; 2) Sarah Crow in 1793

3. Thomas (born c1762 in Aberdeen; died c1813 in Aberdeen): Married once to Sarah Euston c1801, but also had a number of children with Judith Sherman in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.

I have found lots of information about these people's descendants, but I would like to know more about the parents of Thomas Elliott and Margaret Johnston. Is Thomas connected to the Elliott clan in Scotland? If so, how?

Re: Elliott family of England/Scotland/Jamaica

Posted: 26 Apr 2011 6:29PM GMT
My name is Nicholas Elliott, and I have recently started to look into my family tree. I came across your post, and I was wondering whether you could shed some light on some of my ancestors.

My father is also called Nicholas Elliott and he was born in St Elizabeth, Jamaica in 1946. My grandfather, Harold Elliott was born in 1920. My great grandfather's name was Samuel Elliott. This is where things become a little unclear.

I know that I am a descendant of Thomas (born c1762 in Aberdeen; died c1813 in Aberdeen): Married once to Sarah Euston c1801, but also had a number of children with Judith Sherman in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica.

I am also guessing that I am a direct descendant of one his sons (Henry or David Elliott) but I am not sure.

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 7:36PM GMT
Surnames: Elliott, Sherman
Hello Nicholas,

I'm afraid I can't offer too much help, as I don't have very much of the recent Elliott information (most of my info is only as recent as the late 1800s). I've got a Samuel Elliott in my tree, but I don't have a birth date for him; judging by the birth dates of his siblings, though, he was probably born around 1920... which would be about a generation too late.

The information I have on the family indicates quite a bit of intermarriage... so it's entirely possible that you're descended from both David and Henry.

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 12:07PM GMT
Thank you for getting back to me.
I have 2 more questions, my great grandfather was married to a Linnet Elliott (formerly Napier)and he had a sister called Leah Elliott , do you have any information regarding them?

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Elliott, Napier
Okay... this is interesting. I have a Nicholas Samuel Elliott who was married to a Lynette Geraldine Napier in 1919. However, I don't have a sister named Leah for him... and I don't have a son named Harold for the couple.

Nicholas Samuel Elliott had siblings named Margaret Ann, Josephine, Mary Catherine, Agnes Cinderella, Theodore, and Harold. I don't have a birth date for Harold, though, so I'm wondering if maybe that was a mistake and he's actually a son, not a brother...

If this is your family, then you're descended from David and Henry Elliott. Nicholas Samuel Elliott's father was Eustace Alexander Elliott. Eustace's parents were Walter Elliott (David's son) and Frances Ann Elliott (Henry's daughter).

Posted: 14 Aug 2011 2:43AM GMT
Hello-I am a descendant of the Elliotts in Jamaica. I have just started again to try to construct a family tree and I am getting bits and pieces.

My Grandfather was David Frederick Elliott who was the son of Joseph Moss Sherman Elliott and Hemans Medora Elliott. I appreciate the information that you have posted so far because it helps to fill in the missing pieces.

I seem to remember hearing of a "Leah". I will have to check on that.

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Elliott
My mom( Dothsy Elliott Roye came from the Henry Elliott and Elizabeth Jones line. My Dad (Ricardio Elliott) came from the David Elliott and Margaret Bent line. Both lines came from Thomas Elliott and Judith Sherman.

Posted: 2 Jan 2012 3:55PM GMT
Agnes Cinderella Elliott was my grandma, she died before I was born. She had 9 Siblings my mum being one of the youngest!
Nicholas Samuel Elliott was my mums uncle and she remembers him. She cannot recall any other uncles because she was too young, she remembers uncle Sam because he use to collect them to visit The Elliott family and aunt Lynette as Agnes left the area when she married her husband Michael Augustus Simpson.
What I do know is that Sam has a couple daughters in the UK and a grandaugher who I made contact with.
My mum thought her mum was the youngest apparently not as I found out Theodore was born after my grandma.

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 1:07AM GMT
Nicholas

I spoke with my mum and Agnes had an older sister her aunt Leah, my mum said she married and was called Leah Bent mum recalls she had a daughter who went to live in USA. This daughter wanted to take my uncle when he was a baby because he was so pretty. I recall my uncle joking about this before he passed away a few years ago!

Can anyone else clarify Leah did she have another name.
Please clarify your mothers name! or name she was known by.

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 2:32AM GMT
Hello Nicholas and participants I am a descendant of Thomas Elliott of Scotland who moved to St. Elizabeth JA. Family members of Ballards Valley JA have made a group on Facebook called Ballards Valley People and we have managed to post an Elliott Family Tree and trace family members. Please feel free to join and help reveal and unearth our history. x
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.