Search for content in message boards

Miles & Garrett Riley - 1634 to America

Miles & Garrett Riley - 1634 to America

Posted: 26 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jan 2005 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: Riley
I am the descendant of Miles Riley who, with his brother Garrett, sailed to America aboard the ship Bonaventure (London) in 1634. I can find no ancestral family information beyond the ship's manifest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rileys of Maryland

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2001 2:53AM GMT
My wife, Marjorie (Riley) Stevens is proably a descendant of Miles Riley. She belongs to the DAR and her ancestor was Ninian Riley of Maryland and North Carolina.

Robert Shean Riley has done extensive work on this Riley clan. He published a 2 vol set last year - The Colonial Riley Families of the Tidewater Frontier. He confirms the story of Miles.

Robert Stevens

Riley's in Buchanan

Posted: 28 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Who were the parents/grandparents of Peter Riley?

Robert

Riley's in Buchanan, MO

Sherry Stafford (View posts)
Surnames: Riley, Cronin, Kane, Quinlan
What information do you have on the Riley's in Buchanan, Missouri? I have Peter Riley in my family who has children named Hugh and John, etc. What is more interesting is that they have a connection with Buchanan, MO, also.

Rileys in America

There is quite a bit out there on the Rileys. Our Riley clan looks like this:
Ferrall Riley
Miles Riley
Hugh Riley
Eliphez Riley
Ninian Riley
John Riley
Isaac Berry Riley
Isaac Newton Riley
John Riley
Elton Riley

The first 150 years were in Maryland, then North Carolina, Kentuckey, and Missouri. My father in law, Elton Riley was born in Buchanon County, Missouri, in 1907.

There is lots of stuff out there on the Rileys.

Robert Stevens
iles

Riley's

Robert Stevens (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stevens, Riley, Flanagan, Handley, Fahey, Carew
Our Riley clan dates back to the 17th century. They first came over in he early 1600's. During the Rev. war they belonged to the protestant St. John's church. During the war our ancestor Ninian Riley was warden of the church, located at what is now Washington DC. Most of his neighbors were "tories" supporting the british. He came on bad times there and left the church. During that period 1780-1800 he had joined the Baptist movement and was a leader of the baptist movement and migrations from Maryland to North Carolina and then Kentucky and Missouri.

The big influx of Irish in the 19th century were mostly the result of the famine and hard times of the 1800's. These were mostly catholic.

If your people were catholic they probably were not from the clans of the 1600's from Maryland.

Robert Stevens

Riley's in Buchanan, MO

Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2001 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Cronin, Kane, Quinlan
My Peter Riley's father was also Peter Riley and his mother, Mary. The first child of the grandfather Peter and Mary was named James--and using Irish naming patterns as a guide--James may be grandfather Peter's father's name. In a US Census, James was listed as being born in the State of Louisiana in 1838. The State of Louisiana gave me the run around when I tried to obtain a birth certificate. Everyone one referring me to someone else.

According to an obituary, the grandfather Peter immigrated around 1835.

Re: Rileys of Maryland

Audrey Riley (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 6:42AM GMT
Where can I get copies of these books ?

Robert Stevens (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2001 4:38PM GMT
Colonial Riley families of the Tidewater Frontier by Robert Shean Riley published ib 1999 by McDowell Publications of 11129 Pleasant Ridge Road - Utica, Ky 42376.

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Carrico
Would you be so kind to look up these Rileys in your book?
Michael Riley b: Abt. 1769 in Maryland
..+Unknown b: Abt. 1773 in Maryland
.........2 Francis E. Riley b: 1795 in Maryland d: Bef. 1860
.............+Matilda Ann Carrico b: Bet. 1797 - 1817 in Maryland d: January 05, 1902 in Kentucky

Any help would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.