Search for content in message boards

Gillett 1622 Martin's hundred

Gillett 1622 Martin's hundred

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 2:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gillett
Hello, I'm researching the Gillett family of Newfoundland, and I have found on the Gutenberg files, that a Richard Gillett and others wanted to go to Newfoundland to relieve their wants and also if some of these people wanted to go via Newfoundland to have passage back to England they may do so. I have a Richard Gillett who wished to go to Newfoundland and I believe he may have stayed there, as there is a Trinity, Trinity Bay, Nfld. a person with this name who was a constable in Trnity in 1730. Is anyone researching the people to left Virginia for Nfld. and did not want to go back to England? Also, when typing in Gillett "The Virginia Colony of London" it mentions people of Negro descent who were free, owned property, got along with their white neighbors, but when slavery was introduced to the colony some of their children were stolen from the families and made slaves. One of the African surnames mentioned was Gillett. If anyone can help me as to where to look for my Nfld. Gillett relatives, and as we can not find them in England, can someone tell me that they did go to Virginia for a short time frame, and then moved to Nfld. where they settled. Thank you for your time, sincerely, Denise, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Gillett 1622 Martin's hundred & Gillett of Trinity Newfoundland

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 3:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been researching my family tree/history and I am a direct descendent of this Richard Gillett of Trinity, that you mentioned in your post. I am connected to him through his daughter Grace Gillett who married Matthew Abbott on Oct 24, 1760. This is the same Richard Gillett that was a constable. This Richard Gillett was born abt 1705 and married Mary ? born abt 1707. I have been unable to find a Richard Gillett within the right timeframe in Christchurch, England, so when I came across this post I had to add the information that I have and hopefully this mystery can be solved at some point.
This Richard and Mary Gillett of Trinity, I have been able to connect three children to them and suspect that at least two more may be a child of theirs. The three I have born to this couple are:
1. George b.? d. abt May 9, 1757 buried May 12, 1757
2. Richard b. 1735 d. abt June 25,1801 buried June 28, 1801
3. Grace b. 1740 d. 1771

Two female Gilletts that I suspect are also children, but have no proof, of Richard and Mary Gillett are:

1. Ann Gillett Married Moses Emray on Feb 27, 1759 and after he died she Married Rev. James Balfour on Oct 13, 1766.
2.Sarah Gillett Married Richard Waterman on March 12, 1762.

I also have a John Gillett that married Mary Spragg Relict to Matthew Spragg late Planter in Fox Island on Jan 12, 1774.
I don't know his connection yet to the above Gilletts but I suspect him to be a descendent of Richard and Mary Gillett because I have not seen another Gillett family in the area to make me think otherwise, but I have more research to do. I hope this information helps you and I would appreciate any information you can give me on this family as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.