Search for content in message boards

Rezin Ragan, Jr. and his wife Rachael Connell of Newberry County, South Carolina

Rezin Ragan, Jr. and his wife Rachael Connell of Newberry County, South Carolina

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 10:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ragan/Reagan
My sketch on Rezin and Rachael Connell Ragan, Jr. here has been pulled from so many contemporary sources. [Luckily for me, I got it in my "working" research notebooks...so it is my real backup.]

Here it is as follows:

REZIN RAGAN, Jr. and his wife RACHAEL CONNELL
by Donald B. Reagan

Rezin Ragan, Jr., son of Rezin and Anne [_____] Ragan, Sr., was married circa 1769 in Frederick County, Virginia (no marriage record for them have had not been found.) to Rachael Connell. She was born circa 1756 in Frederick County, Virginia, and was the daughter of James and Anne Connell.

Based on my genealogical research, it appeared that they had three (3) children born in Frederick County, Virginia before the migration to Newberry District (now Newberry County), South Carolina before 1773. The date of arrival, 1773, for this family was gleaned from the land records of South Carolina there.

Rezin Ragan was mentioned in "The Annals of Newberry" by John Belton O'Neal. It stated that this family was located there before or during the Revolutionary War.

This family continued to live in the environs of Bush River and Beaver Dam Creek til after 1800.

Rezin Ragan, Jr. and his wife Rachael Connell were listed in 1790 and 1800 Federal Census of Newberry District, South Carolina. But they were not listed in 1810 Federal Census there.

It is most likely that Rezin and Rachael Connell Ragan, Jr. must have died between 1801 and 1805 in Newberry County, South Carolina. There have been no probate papers found for them there.

FAMILY OF REZIN and RACHAEL CONNELL RAGAN, Jr.:

1.) REZIN RAGAN, III b ca 1770 Frederick County, Virginia m. circa 1791, Newberry District, South Carolina to Mary [_____]. This family migrated to Warren County, Ohio in 1804 from Newberry County, South Carolina. They had three (3) children; Reason IV, Reuel; and Jesse.

2.) THOMAS RAGAN b ca 1772 Frederick County, Virginia m. circa 1793, Newberry District, South Carolina to Rachel [_____}. This family migrated to Warren County, Ohio in 1804 from Newberry County, South Carolina. They had nine (9) children; Sarah, Rachel, Reason, John, Patience, Wiley, William, Thomas W., and Mary A.

3.) ZACHARIAH RAGAN b ca 1774 Frederick County, Virginia m. circa 1794, Fayette County, Pennsylvania to Mary Woodruff. This family stayed in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and Beaver County, Pennsylvania. They had eleven (11) children; William, Alexander P., Joab W., Zachariah Connell, Elizabeth, James, Harriet, Colin Campbell, Nancy, Lucia B., and Mary C.

4.) ELIZABETH RAGAN b ca 1775 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1793, Newberry District, South Carolina to Isaac Ballinger. This family migrated to Jefferson County, Tennessee, and then later to Miami County, Ohio. They had five (5) children; James, Daniel, Jesse, John Abraham, and Polly.

5.) BETHENA RAGAN b ca 1776 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1794, Newberry District, South Carolina to John Jackson. This family migrated to Miami County, Ohio from Newberry County, South Carolina. They had seven (7) children; Daniel, Elizabeth, Jane, John, Mary, Bethena, and William R.

6.) LYDIA RAGAN b ca 1778 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1795, Newberry District, South Carolina to Samuel Hewston (Huston/Houston). This family migrated to Warren County, Ohio, and then later to Marion County, Indiana. They had three (3) children; all daughters not named at the time of 1800 Federal Census of Newberry District, South Carolina. It is not known to this writer how many children they have to their marriage.

7.) SARAH RAGAN b ca 1780 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1800, Newberry County, South Carolina to William Spillers. This family migrated to Miami County, Ohio. They had three (3) children; Peter Julius, Matilda, and Rachael. It is not known to this writer how many children they have to their marriage.

8.) RACHEL RAGAN b ca 1782 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1800, Newberry County, South Carolina to Thomas O’Neal. This family migrated to Warren County, Ohio, and then later to Marion County, Indiana. They had five (5) children; Charles P., Hugh, Son ?/Dau ?, Son ?/Dau ?, and Lydia. It is not known to this writer how many children they have to their marriage.

9.) CATHERINE RAGAN b 17 Jan 1784 Newberry District, South Carolina m. circa 1804, Newberry County, South Carolina to Mordecai McKinsey. This family migrated to Warren County, Ohio, and then later to Marion County, Indiana. They had eight (8) children; Nehemiah J., Reason, Sarah, John Mercer, Alfred Sanford, Jessie R., George W., and Mary.

10.) Dau ? _____ RAGAN b ca 1786 Newberry District, South Carolina
Source: 1800 Federal Census of Newberry District, South Carolina

11.) Son ? _____ RAGAN b ca 1788 Newberry District, South Carolina

12.) ZADOCK RAGAN b ca 1790 Newberry District, South Carolina m. 09 Dec 1810, Miami County, Ohio to Sarah Johnston. They had seven (7) children; Johnston, Susannah, Benjamin J., Eliza, James, Infant not named, and Thomas J. After the death of his wife, Sarah Johnston in 1832, Zadock married again to Susannah Embree probably in Darke County, Ohio. They had four (4) children; Martha, Jacob E., Nancy, and Susannah.

13.) Son ? _____ RAGAN b ca 1792 Newberry District, South Carolina

So you can see that I was looking at whole big picture for this family. And it is pretty clear to me about this family migration pattern from Newberry County, South Carolina to the State of Ohio around 1804/1805. And, later to the State of Indiana.

I thought I would share it with all of you who descended from Rezin Ragan, Jr., and his wife Rachael Connell. I have located the Connell papers that cleared up the misconception about early Connell family in Frederick County, Virginia.

Please feel free to contact me.

Re: Rezin Ragan, Jr. and his wife Rachael Connell of Newberry County, South Carolina

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 2:27PM GMT
I am researching John Jackson of Newberry Co., SC, 1800, and in looking at his wife Bethena Reagan came across both the Annals of Newberry Co. and your post. Thank you for your research and willingness to share.

I research the descendants of John Jackson and Bethena Reagan, particularly the line of their son Daniel, working extensively in Ohio and Indiana.

Thanks again for your post.

Suzanne

Re: Rezin Ragan, Jr. and his wife Rachael Connell of Newberry County, South Carolina

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Ragan, Ragon, Reagan, Regan
You are most welcome! I thought that I would share what my genealogical research showed to me on this family. Good luck in your genealogical research.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.