Search for content in message boards

Barnes and Cherokee blood

Barnes and Cherokee blood

helen basler (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2000 11:48AM GMT
My grandmother's maiden name was Bonnie May Barnes.
I understand her Father was of Cherokee blood. I have
had trouble finding info because at the time of her birth in
1879 this was not accepted because her Mother was white.Also
I was told she was adopted by Henry and Elsie Cummings. I
would appreciate any info.

Just wondering

Terika (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2000 6:39PM GMT
Hello

My name is Terika and I am trying to trace my family roots as well. My grandfather's last name is Mackey. And I was told by my grandfather that his father was black and cherokee. I also have a few relatives on that side of my family who have the last name barnes. So I was just wanted to know if there was anyway we could help each other out. My grandfather and his father lived in Georgia before moving to FL. I am not sure what part of GA, but I can find out later. If know about anything that is similar to that please let me know.

Barnes

Theresa Allman (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2000 9:31AM GMT

Barnes in Ga.

Martha Pursley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2000 12:09AM GMT

Mary Beatrice Barnes 11 Jan 1904

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 11:11PM GMT
I have heard my mother talk about the Barnes
family and your names have come up very often.
I am registed in the Cherokee Nation with registration
number C0030473. This is using Mary B Barnes/Clement.
You might write to Cherokee Registration Department,
PO Box 948, Tahlequah, Ok 74465-0948. I never knew
anything about my grandparents. They deceased before
I was born in 1939.

Cherokee roots

Posted: 27 Mar 2000 7:54PM GMT
Edited: 29 Feb 2004 8:49PM GMT
My grandmother Clarrie(Lavina Clara) Barnes always claimed she was of Cherokee Descent.Her father was Joseph Barnes and her mother was Della(Lila/Delilah/Delaiah)Barnes.Don't know years of birth nor place.My grandmother lived in Ill.One of her husbands was Jefferson Brice Keaney of Gibson City,Ill.His mother Minerva Strait was also supposed to be Cherokee.Jos.Barnes mother may have been a Heidi Hamilton.There are lots of Barnes here in middle Tenn who claim Cherokee roots.

mary Bea Barnes

Debby (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2000 5:03PM GMT
My gmother was a Mary Beatrice Barnes born March 12, 1910. Daughter of Della Barnes and Clayton Barnes. Don't know where she was born, I believe CA. ??? Do know the family lived in Ojai, Ventura area all my life.
Could this be the same Mary? She married Robert Earl Gray and they had one daughter (mom) Wilma Jean, born 8-9-1933, she died 1-25-1998. Mary had sister too, Gertie, Faye, don't remember there being any brothers. Any of this formiliar?
Let me know. Thanks

Della Barnes

Debby (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2000 5:13PM GMT
Hi, my ggmother was a Della Barnes, (married to Clayton Barnes) don't know maiden name of Della. Daughters, Mary Beatrice, Faye and Gertie. Lived in California since 1933 or before. ????

Della Barnes

Posted: 28 Mar 2000 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 29 Feb 2004 8:49PM GMT
Don't know if its the same Della.My husband's greatgrandmother was a Della(short for either Delilah or Delaiah)Barnes.Don't know maiden name either,but her husband was supposed to have been Joseph Barnes,father of Lavina Clara Barnes.Clarrie married and raised her family in northwest Illinois.

Mary Beatrice Barnes

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 9:04AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 11:11PM GMT
I have heard my mother "Mary B Barnes" talk of sisters
named Gertie and Faye. Also, she used to talk about
them living in Santa Anna, Calif. Somehow they
are tied to the Cochran name. It has been years since I
have heard anything else about them. Could be a connection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.