Search for content in message boards

Donaldsons form Ireland

Sadly not my Donaldson men!

Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 8:28AM GMT
Surnames: DONALDSON
Sadly, the dates make these men impossible for my match. Andrew was John's father and since John was born in 1840, Andrew would have had to have been born 1823 or before.

Thank you so much for responding, it was very kind of you.

Donaldson

Janet Cook (View posts)
Surnames: John Donaldson, Andrew
i have a John Donaldson,b.1819-Cloghog, Co. Armagh, Ireland .then i have Andrew b.1827.same co. then later years i have a John b.1876, in ILL. ALSO A Peter Andrew.b.1877, ILL. NOT SURE THIS WILL HELP,THEY came from line of Jamas Donaldson &Elizabeth Brown of County ,Mayo. Ireland

Donaldsons form Ireland

Surnames: DONALDSON, HIBBERD
I am researching the Donaldsons of Ireland. The family branch I am interested contain John Donaldson born 1840, who migrated to Manchester, England and established a fish merchants in the city. His father was Andrew Donaldson. Mother unknown.

Donaldson

Bruce Owen (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Donaldson
I am very interested in the references to John and Andrew Donaldson mentioned in this list. I have a grandfather John Donaldson born in 1887 in Belfast. His parents were Thomas and Annie (nee Brown) who were married in Belfast in 1885. Thomas' father was Andrew Donaldson, a shoemaker and his mother was almost certainly an Anderson. The existance of common Christian names here has me very interested. Anyone find a common thread here
Bruce owen

Likely to be a connected family

Posted: 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: IRISH DONALDSON
Dear Bruce

Even though your John and Andrew cannot be the same as mine (my John was born in Ireland in 1840), I think that the fact that Donaldson is not a very common 19th century Irish name, does give us a bit of hope that it is likely there is a common family base to our ancestors. It may well be that as our John's are at the most two generations apart, that one was named after another and so forth for Andrew and indeed Thomas (my John had a son called Thomas born 1887)! Seems a huge coincidence if I'm wrong, but if you can email me through a family tree file that you have, I can do the same and we can examine the trees 'like for like'. I have been unable to find anything on my Donaldson's previous to their arrival in England (Manchester) so this is very exciting. Possibly we have the makings of a Donaldson Clan.

Let me know what you think.

Ceri

Belfast Donaldsons

Bruce owen (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
I have put my ancestor tree as far as the Belfast Donaldsons are concerned on my FTM site at the following

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/o/w/e/Bruce-B-Owe...
Bruce Owen

Belfast Donaldsons

bruce owen (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Janet Cook
I'm interested in your Andrew D as mine died in 1897 in Banbridge near Belfast. Any connection?
My Thomas D was a scutcher in the linen industry at Edenderry near Banbridge, south of Belfast, and from his marriage certificate his father Andrew was a shoe maker.
Because thomas was Thomas Anderson Donaldson, I assume the his father Andrew married an Anderson. However I have not got to tracking his birth certificate yet.
I have received info that in a book of gravestone inscriptions for the 1st Presbyterian Church in Banbridge there is a grave for the John (d 1852) and Mary Donaldson
(d 1863) mentioned in my tree, "and also of his son Andrew (d 1897" I'm a little puzzled why he was not buried with his wife, unless there was a mixed marriage.
Bruce owen

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.