Search for content in message boards

Potter's Field Jersey City, NJ

Potter's Field Jersey City, NJ

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 8:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GUTZAT, OBEREINER
Can anyone tell me the current name of Potter's Field in New Jersey. I know it is downtown near the Hudson Tunnel (I believe that is the tunnel). I'm from VA and have no concept of NJ.

This is where my Gutzat g-grandparent are buried. I know the name changed because in 1988/89 my mother and I visited her grandparents graves. The cemetery at that time was neglected and over run with trees and weeds.

Thanks all.
Cindy

Re: Potter's Field Jersey City, NJ

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 12:56AM GMT
The Hudson County Institution at Snake Hill had a cemetery and Potters Field. The cemetery was paved over to make the NJ Turnpike in the late 70s. This was a great horror and there is a documentary regarding Snake Hill, which you could get on Amazon. The bodies had to be removed and were placed in a large grave, together.....The Jersey Journal had an expose...If you would like me to find out if your family member is inthe mass grave, please let me know the complete name. If you get a chance to look up Snake Hill, which is located in Secaucus (currently a park called "Laurel Hill", you would be amazed. Bridget Revell

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 12:17PM GMT
Surnames: Gutzat, Obereiner
Thanks, I don't think that is the one. We visited in in the late 1980's. I know it is not to far from the Holland Tunnel. It was difficult for us to find, I think only because we were unfamiliar with the area.

Cindy

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Kaesler
I was reading your response and I was hoping that you would look and see if any of my relatives are buried in Potters Field. Our last name is Kaesler. My great grandmother Fannie, Her son Charles Frederick Kaesler or anyone else with the last name Kaesler. I would be extremely grateful if you would do this for me.

cboukh@yahoo.com

Posted: 16 Oct 2012 9:25PM GMT
I would be extremely grateful if you would look up the Kaesler name and send me the info on my email -cboukh@yahoo.com

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 12:30AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Kaesler
If possible, could you please look up the name, Fannie Kaesler or Fannie Kesler,is located in the mass gravesite that you mentioned. She is my gr. gr. grandmother and I am trying to locate her burial site.....cboukh@yahoo.com Thanks
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.