Search for content in message boards

Charles Curwen Walker born Depwade, Norfolk 1856

Charles Curwen Walker born Depwade, Norfolk 1856

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walker
Can anyone throw any light on this name. I think "Curwen" may be a family surname, because it carried on to Charles C Walker's family. I cannot find him in 1871 or 1881 censuses. Unfortunately, at this stage I don't know his parent's names. He married Edith Sutcliffe, born Shipley, somewhere between 1881 & 1891.

Re: Charles Curwen Walker born Depwade, Norfolk 1856

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 10:07AM GMT
Surnames: WALKER / CURWEN / SUTCLIFFE
Hi, Audrey
1. You will find that "Curwen" derives from the time of CC WALKER's grandparents, even prior to then - but, in particular, the link is through his grandmother, Bridget CHRISTIAN WALKER (nee CHRISTIAN) who, in the 1851 UK Census, is shown as born "Ewanrigg Hall Dearham" itself the clue to and behind which lies a rather interesting history.
To save time and space in recreating the significance of "Curwen", concerning which you write, I shall attempt to include 2 documents by way of attachments, here.
As you will see, the name "Curwen" goes back to at least the late 1500s.
2. From the information at my disposal, I am inclined to the view that "Sutcliffe, born Shipley" for Edith, CCW's wife, might be drawing a long bow, unless there be prime source evidence to corroborate SHIPLEY. In this respect I note the 1861 UK Census where the familes WALKER and SUTCLIFFE appear to be neighbours; with Charles then aged 5 and Edith aged 12. The age differential of 7 years is consistent with the record in the 1891 census.
3. Charles and Edith were married somewhere between (abt) 1880 - 1885; possibly (though it is by no means certain) after his return from Australia to the UK and before their first daughter, Mary W WALKER, was born, in abt 1885.
4. CCW was in Australia at the time of the 1871 Census and, following his brief return trip to England in or about 1880-1881, he was again on board the ship ARISTIDES heading for Victoria, Australia, disembarking 24 September of 1881; thereby accounting for the absence of any record of him certainly in the 1871 census and, possibly, the 1881 census, too.

Kind regards
VJ
p.s. Have not succeeded in attaching documents which, being MS Word and PDF files, are not acceptable formats at Ancestry.co.uk - sorry about that.
My direct email is vjkingsr@heartbeatentertainment.com.au should you wish me to email them to you.

Re: Charles Curwen Walker born Depwade, Norfolk 1856

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 10:25AM GMT
Hi, again, Audrey
Scratch my point "2." in previous response to you as I grossly misunderstood the point entirely. Regrets :)
VJ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.