Search for content in message boards

Thomas Sutton, b. 1799, d. 1891

Thomas Sutton, b. 1799, d. 1891

Posted: 4 Oct 2000 7:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:21PM GMT
Surnames: SUTTON, LAWSON, POTTS
Does anyone have any information on Thomas Sutton,Sr b. NC 4/12/1799 d. 4/12/1891, married Hannah Lawson d/o Drewry Lawson and Hannah Potts? Thomas and Hannah lived in Claiborne county,TN and are listed in the 1830 thru 1880 census for that county. They had 10 known children: Nathan,Mary, James, Susannah, Hannah, Martha, Matilda, Dulany, Thomas,jr, Euclid Ison and John.I have some info on these children but nothing on their families. Thomas is reportedly a brother to Bailey Sutton who also was listed in the 1850 census of Claiborne co,TN . Thanks for any information or leads.Email @ elizabethyeary@yahoo.com

Sutton(s)

EBurk (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 6:27PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: SUTTON
Elizabeth, please write to me at
EBurk56622@aol.com
I'd like very much to know if these are also my relatives (maiden name is Sutton). I believe my Grandfather was from Tennessee - but I haven't been able to research any further back than him. Thanks. Evon

Re: Thomas Sutton, b. 1799, d. 1891

Posted: 22 Apr 2001 9:27PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: SUTTON, NEVILS, BROWN, BALL, YEARY, CROXSTALL
I don't know anything about Thomas Sutton, Sr. But I'd love to as he was a 4th gr-grandfather of mine. His daughter Mary was the first wife of George Washington Nevils of Claiborne Co., TN. Thomas, Jr. was married to Matilda Brown and had one child that I know of, George Washington Sutton. George married Rachel Emily Ball. Matilda Brown Sutton was a daughter of Michael T. Brown and Elizabeth Ball. Elizabeth Ball Brown was a dau. of Moses Ball and Elizabeth Yeary. Elizabeth Yeary Ball was a dau. of Henry David Yeary and Elizabeth Croxstall.

According to a book written by a cousin of mine, Mary Sutton was Cherokee Indian. I know that Drewry Lawson put in a claim for Indian benefits but was rejected. Drewry Lawson the father of Nathaniel claimed to be a half brother to Chief Benge who made raids against the early white settlers. Following Chief Benge led to Dr. Walker's discovery of the Cumberland Gap area.

Re: Thomas Sutton, b. 1799, d. 1891

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 7:55PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:27PM GMT
Surnames: SUTTON
V. Jackson-email me @ elizabethyeary@yahoo.com and I will send you the info I have on Thomas and his descendants that I have. We have other connections in this line also.
Elizabeth

Re: Matilda Sutton

Nan (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2002 2:59PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Sutton, Pratt
Hello I'm trying to locate information on my Gr.Gr.Grandmother Matilda Sutton, b: 1862 Virginia, she married Joseph Pratt and they raised their family in Texas they had 14 children: George, Georgina, Josephine, Martha, John, Joseph, Jesse, Mary, Eva, Susanna, James, Ida, Roena,and Robert. I have heard that she was comanche.
I do not know who her parents were, if anyone knows could they please contact me @ Tateertot@aol.com

Re: Matilda Sutton

Carolyn Torres (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2002 5:16AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: PRATT, SUTTON
Matilda SUTTON and Joseph Perry PRATT are also my great-great grandparents. Matilda had a brother named John, that lived near Somerset (he also was found living in her home on a census). And, I have been told that her parents are buried near Somerset, TX...but, in seperate locations. I have not been able to locate any of their graves. Please feel free to contact me directly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.