Search for content in message boards

Errors 1911 Census-Anglesey, Wales

Replies: 3

Errors 1911 Census-Anglesey, Wales

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 5 Nov 2012 9:23AM GMT
I'm sure that others may have noticed, but there are major indexing problems for the 1911 Census. About one third of the residents of Anglesey are shown as having their Place of Residence in another county- Caernarvonshire(sic).

This might totally mislead researchers from around the world.

This appears to be a data error supplied by the national Archive, as the fault also appears in Find My Past.

The error stems from the fact that the Registration Districts covering South and East Anglesey in 1911, were Bangor and Caernarvon(sic) which are both in Caernarvonshire(sic). It would appear that the National Archive therefore deemed that those parishes in South and Eastern Anglesey covered by these offices, were therefore in Caernarvonshire(sic).

For the record, these parishes really are in Anglesey, but Ancestry says they're in Caernarvonshire:
Beaumaris,
Llanddaniel Fab,
Llanedwen,
Llanddona,
Llandegfan,
Llandysilio,
Llanfair yn y Cwmwd,
Llangeinwen,
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll,
Llanffinan,
Llanfihangel Esceifiog,
Llanfihangel Tyn Sylwy,
Llaniestyn Rural,
Llangadwaladr,
Llangaffo,
Llangoed,
Llangristiolus,
Llanidan,
Llaniestyn,
Llanfaes,
Llansadwrn,
Newborough,
Pentraeth,
Penmynydd,
Penmon,(& Puffin Island),
Trefdraeth.

So, if you've spent some time trying to find people in these parishes in Anglesey- they're not there, they're misfiled under Caernarvonshire(sic).

To further add to the fun of searching for Anglesey ancestors in 1911, you must remember that probably 80% of the forms were completed in Welsh. Most Welsh speakers if born on Anglesey, would have put their Place of Birth as "Sir Fôn" (County of Anglesey), or "Môn" (Anglesey).

This has totally thrown the transcribers who have misinterpreted "Môn" (Anglesey) as "Mon." (A one time abbreviation for Monmouthshire some 180 miles away).

Thus, if you look at the transcriptions, you will see that a large proportion of Anglesey residents in 1911 were supposedly born in Monmouthshire.

I was raised in a small hamlet in Anglesey,and in 1911, it had 136 residents living in 33 dwellings.

These people of course are not only erroneously indexed as living in Caernarvonshire(sic), but bizzarely 79 are indexed as having been born in Monmouthshire.

I have notified Ancestry.co.uk of these errors, but am not holding my breath for a speedy correction.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cardi99 4 Nov 2012 10:29PM GMT 
Llwyn_Hudol 6 Nov 2012 10:52AM GMT 
cardi99 6 Nov 2012 12:24PM GMT 
cardi99 21 Dec 2012 9:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.