Search for content in message boards

Debbie Austin - An African American Obituary

This board is read-only and closed to new posts.
Replies: 0

Debbie Austin - An African American Obituary

Posted: 24 Aug 2005 5:11PM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Austin
Debbie Austin
Cleveland, OH

January 1, 1952 to May 13, 2002

Debbie Austin, 50, died yesterday on May 13, 2002 of a heart attack. A native of Cleveland, Ohio she began singing at age four. At age thirteen, her first recording was ""I Believe"" with the United Voices of Faith of Cleveland, Ohio. For eight years, she toured with and recorded with Evangelist Shirley Caesar and the Caesar Singers of Durham, North Carolina. She then joined the late Rev. James Cleveland and Cleveland singers of Los Angeles, California. In 1980, Debbie formed gospel group ""UNITY"", recording their first album ""For The Prize"" on the Savoy Label. In 1983, the group recorded their second album ""Never Defeated"" produced by Reverend Cleveland. Being active in the theatre since the early eighties, Her acting credits are: § Gospel musical 'P.O.P' (Power of Prayer) § January 1991, Broadway Gospel Musical, called ""Lord I'm Coming Home"", performing with the company over the past ten years. § In 1996, a premiere performance of a gospel musical ""Is There a Man in the House"" § Recently performed at the Whiting Theatre in Flint, Michigan, the Broadway Production written to raise A.I.D.S awareness ""I'll Meet You Somewhere over the Rainbow"" § She had been an active member of the Gospel Music Workshop of America (GMWA) for over 30 years.

OTHER ALBUMS : 1985 Live in Atlanta, GMWA MASS CHOIR ""That's What My God Will Do For You"" 1987 Live in Detroit, GMWA MASS CHOIR ""God is Our Fortress"" 1989 Live in New Orleans GMWA MASS CHOIR ""Everyday Is a Day of Thanksgiving"" 1992 The Dallas-Fort Worth Mass Choir under the direction of Kirk Franklin ""Another Chance"" and ""In Living Color"", with Melvin Williams of the famous Williams Brothers 1994 Debbie annually records and conducts gospel music seminars with songwriter Mr. Jay Terrell and the Higher Praise Choir of Omaha, Nebraska. The first album from this seminar included the singles, ""Well Done"" and ""Tis' So Sweet"" 1994 Debbie had the distinct honor and pleasure of being one of more than 300 recording artists invited to take part in a video taping of the Bill Gaither Studio in Alexandria, IN. 1996 GMWA MASS CHOIR -""Grace of God"" 1997 GMWA Women of Worship ""A Brighter Day"" Miss Austin was a partner and inspirational leader for over five years on the Gospel Connection radio broadcast which aired Monday through Friday on station W.T.O.F., 98.1 FM in Akron, Ohio. Being an active member of Gospel Announcers Guild of the GMWA, she is also a member of St. James C.O.G.I.C in Warren, Ohio.

In addition to being one of the directress and youth counselors of the Youth and Young adult, she also shared as a director for the church's radio choir. Debbie Austin a woman of many talents and interests realized the reason why she ""SANG"": to the Glory and Honor of God. Now the Pearly Gates of Heaven have swung open to greet her with the prize of eternal life. A memorial service will be held, Saturday, 18 May 2002, from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the § St. James Church of God In Christ 1838 S. Main St. Warren, OH 44485 (330) 393-9011 The funeral service will be held *** Monday, 20 May 2002 at 11:00 am with the wake beginning at 10:00 am at the § Harvest Baptist Church 71st & Kinsman Ave. Cleveland, OH For further information, contact Gwendolyn Morgan, (330) 394-4163 ***

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.